Fine Images and Documents
Phone: 913-851-8462
17342 NewYork 5th Cav MOH  ¼ plate tintype of Saddler Loron F. Packard of
Company E, 5th New York Cavalry. He is posed seated in a chair in front of a military
camp scene painted backdrop. He wears a dark slouch hat with a dark Cavalry shell
jacket with light trousers and boots. Just visible at his waist is his pistol holster and by
his side is a Model 1860 Cavalry saber. The image is clear with good contrast. There are
some scratches to the emulsion around Packard’s head but only one small scratch
touches his face just below one eye. There are also one or two minor scratches on his legs
and arms. The image comes in a battered full cloth case.

There is another image of Packard that can be found on an on-line database. The
difference between the two is striking. The picture on-line shows a clean shaven and
cleanly dressed Packard. In this image he is unshaven with a mustache and longer hair.
He is also suntanned and squinting into the camera. He looks to have just come in from a
long ride and sat for the photograph.

With the photo is a hardcover book titled “THE MODERN HORSE DOCTOR” by
George H. Dadd, M.D. The volume was published in 1860 and runs 432 pages. The book
covers all the known diseases of horses at the time and has numerous plates and
illustrations. The outside cover shows wear. The upper and lower spine is chipped and
the corners are bumped. The inside front cover has a nice clear stencil mark that reads

From his records it is known that Loron F. Packard was born in Boston, Massachusetts.
When or why he moved to New York State is not mentioned. At the age of 18 he enlisted
as a Saddler in Company E, 5th New York Cavalry on August 22, 1861. At the time he
was described as being 5’ 6 ½“ tall with blue eyes, brown hair and a sallow complexion.
He was by profession a farmer.

Packard was present with his regiment until captured at 2nd Bull Run on August 30,
1862. He was paroled and sent to Camp Parole in Annapolis, Maryland. While there he
spent some time in the hospital and then was detached to the Navy Yard. There is some
confusion in his record at this point. He is listed as deserting under fire at Gettysburg
while elsewhere the record states that he did not return to his regiment till October 9,
1863. The record is not clear if he returned to the regiment before Gettysburg, deserted,
and returned on October 9th or if he returned to duty from his parole on October 9th.
Either way he was never prosecuted as a deserter.

On November 11, 1863 while on a reconnaissance to Raccoon Ford, Va. William G.
Peckham of Packard’s Company was cut off and surrounded by three Confederates
holding Burnside carbines. Also close by was a large body of Confederate cavalry and
infantry. Packard, seeing Peckham in trouble, on his own volition charged the three
Confederates and freed Peckham. Then the two of them fired a few rounds at the larger
body of Confederates and made their way back to Union lines through heavy fire from
both sides. It was for this action that Packard received the Medal of Honor in 1894.
Packard remained with his regiment throughout the rest of the war becoming a re-
enlisted veteran in January of 1864. He was mustered out on July 19, 1865.
After the war he returned to New York where he settled in Bolivar, Allegany County. He
died on July 16, 1903 and is buried in Cuba Cemetery, Cuba, New York.  $775