Fine Images and Documents
Phone: 913-851-8462
20408 Harry Selby 34th Iowa Infantry A nice ink signed CDV trimmed at the bottom
and measures 3 1/4" long. No back mark. The hat is clearly a 34 and this is the only
possibility in HDS.  $100   

Harrison Selby

Residence Norwalk IA; 27 years old.

Enlisted on 8/19/1862 as a 5th Sergt.

On 10/15/1862 he mustered into "H" Co. IA 34th Infantry
He was Mustered Out on 8/15/1865 at Houston, TX

* Qtr Master Serg 4/22/1863
* Private 1/19/1864 (Reduced to ranks)

Intra Regimental Company Transfers:
* 4/22/1863 from company H to Field & Staff
* 1/19/1864 from Field & Staff to company H
* 11/12/1864 from company H to company E

Other Information:
born in Indiana

Thirty-fourth Infantry IOWA
(3 years)

Thirty-fourth Infantry. -- Col., George W. Clark; Lieut.-Col.,
Warren S. Dungan; Majs., Racine D. Kellogg, John Kern, Hinkley
F. Beebe.

This regiment was mustered into the service at Burlington Oct.
15, 1862.  It was ordered to report to Gen. Steele at Helena,
Ark., and arrived there Dec. 5, being placed in Thayer's
brigade of Steele's division.

In this command it participated in the disastrous battle of
Chickasaw Bayou under Gen. Sherman.  It also took part in the
capture of Arkansas Post, acquitting itself with honor.  The
regiment took its place on June 15, 1863, at the extreme left
of Grant's investing line in the Vicksburg campaign, and
though during the siege some were killed or wounded, the men
stood the exposure better than most of the regiments, holding
their numbers and strength.  The regiment in Gen. Vandever's
division (2nd) and Gen. Herron's corps (13th) was designed to
reinforce Gen. Banks, but diverted from that purpose, was with
Herron in the capture of Yazoo City.

The division was transferred to the Department of the Gulf,
and in the combat of Stirling's farm the 34th lost 6 men
captured and 1 mortally wounded. In October the division
embarked for Texas, landing on St. Joseph's Island then
crossing to Matagorda Island, and after a preliminary
engagement in which the 34th took a prominent part, captured
Fort Esperanza.

It remained in this vicinity until April 20, 1864, when it
reembarked for New Orleans, and joined Banks' army at
Alexandria.  After about three weeks of skirmishing in this
vicinity the retreat was resumed to the Mississippi River.  
Col. Clark commanded the brigade which formed the rear-guard
most of the way and the 34th, with the other regiments of the
brigade, was frequently engaged with the enemy.

The gallant regiment played a conspicuous part in the
expedition against the forts at the mouth of Mobile bay.  The
troops disembarked at Dauphin Island, and marched to within 2
miles of Fort Gaines immediately commencing the siege
vigorously in which the 34th lost 1 man killed.

Operations were then begun against Fort Morgan, and at the
formal surrender the 34th Ia. was assigned the place of honor.  
About the middle of September the regiment was ordered to
report to New Orleans, whence it proceeded to Morganza,
following which 2 men were severely wounded in a skirmish on
the Atchafalaya.  The varied experiences of the 34th had by
this time reduced it to below one-half the maximum.  It was
formed into a battalion of five companies, and by Jan. 1,
1865, there was consolidated with it another battalion of five
companies, formed of the 38th Ia.

In preparation for the Mobile campaign, it was made a part of
the 3rd brigade, 2nd division, 13th army corps, under Gen.
Andrews.  The regiment was engaged in the siege of Fort
Blakely, and in the magnificent charge of Steele's army the
34th was among the first to plant its colors on the fort
immediately in its front.  Ordered to Texas, from Galveston it
went to Houston, and on Aug. 15, 1865, was mustered out of the
service.  It lost in killed in battle and died from wounds,
13; deaths from disease, 244; wounded, 31; discharged, 354.

Source: The Union Army, vol. 4


Report of Col. George W. Clark, Thirty-fourth Iowa Infantry,
First Brigade.

VICKSBURG, MISS., July 9, 1863.
MAJ.: I have the honor to make the following report of the part
taken by the Thirty-fourth Infantry in the late siege of Vicksburg:

Arrived on the line of encampment below the city on the 14th day of June, 1863. Details
were made at once for fatigue and picket duty. In these details from day to day
consisted the principal work performed by my regiment. One-half my men who were
able for duty were on duty all the time, and not unfrequently I was compelled, in order
to fill the details,
to send men who had just been relieved, thus keeping the same men out in the ditches
forty-eight hours without rest. They went uncomplainingly, and, from the uniform
accounts I have had of their conduct, they behaved well on picket, and worked
faithfully on fatigue. Unaccustomed as they were to such duty and such a climate, and
having to use water of inferior
quality, I think they have exhibited powers of endurance seldom surpassed by men
under any circumstances. Sergeant [David] Finley, of Company E, than whom I never
saw a better soldier, received a sunstroke when on duty, from the effects of which he
died this morning. Many others were overcome by heat and heavy duty, resulting in
fever and other diseases, from which
they have not yet recovered. My regiment, as such, was not engaged in action during
the siege, but was frequently taken to the front to support batteries and prevent sorties
from the enemy.

On the 29th of June, by order of Maj.-Gen. Herron, I moved my regiment around on
the levee, to a point immediately on the bank of the river, 3 miles below the city, and
took charge of the picket line between the river and the Big Bayou. Rebel deserters
were brought in every day in large numbers by my pickets and sent at once to brigade
headquarters. My casualties during the siege were 4 killed and I officer and 5 enlisted
men wounded.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Col., Commanding Thirty-fourth Iowa Infantry

Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

Source:  Official Records
[Series I. Vol. 24. Part II, Reports. Serial No. 37.]